Literary Inspirations - Victorian Gothic Literature

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

This week's literary inspiration is a little different. I read a few Victorian era science-y invention-esque books (The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, and Frankenstein by Mary Shelley) and I wanted to make an inspiration board but I thought they all had fairly similar aesthetic (and literary) themes, so I combined them into a general Victorian steampunkish board and I am loving the result.

Gears and goggles, test tubes and bottles all aid in mad science and experimentation, fingerless gloves add glamor while not impeding your ability to mix concoctions. Ornate mirrors show the changes that have come upon you. A Victorian looking blazer and skirt keeps you proper so society doesn't suspect your mad genius. And of course, you need a fantastic hat just because!

3 comments:

  1. i can definitely see the steampunk inspiration! :) also saw that you're from wisconsin-- I'm interning in Madison this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fun! Madison is a really fun college town, I didn't go there (I was in Milwaukee), but I had a bunch of friends who did and they loved the city's atmosphere. I would definitely recommend checking out the farmers market around the capitol building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. I want that skirt and that jacket.

    ...and that mirror so I can see how fabulous I look in them.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |