DIY Stemware Rack

Monday, September 10, 2012


This little DIY wine glass shelf came from a complete lack of storage space in the kitchen and our crazy collection of glasses. I wanted a fun way to display our stemware, and what's better than a stemware shelf? The few wine glass racks I could find that were also shelves were super expensive, so I decided to make one myself.  It was fairly easy to make, although it did get me locked out of the house for 2 hours one night. So watch out for that, these things are tricky little buggers.

Materials:
Stemware rack from Crate and Barrel
Thin sheet of wood (Home Depot will cut it to size for free!)
Paint - Glidden in "Softest Juniper"
8" decorative wall brackets from Menards
4 screws


I started with this unfinished stemware rack from Crate and Barrel and the thinnest piece of wood that I could find at Home Depot. I think it's actually meant to be a bottom of a drawer. Home Depot will cut the wood for free, so I had them cut it to the exact measurements of the shelf. 


I then painted it Glidden's "Softest Juniper" which is a great minty green. Both pieces of the wood were unfinished, so I applied 2 coats and sanded the edges just a bit to give it a worn look. 



Once everything was dry, I used wood glue to attach the top of the shelf to the rack. (This was where I got locked out. It was a long day.) 


Once the glue had dried, Kacey and I measured and marked where the brackets would screw into the shelf. Note - make sure the screws are long enough to go into the wood, but not stick out the other side since it will impede the bottom of the glasses from sliding into the racks. 



And that was it! Then we just flipped it over and attached it to the wall. 



I love how this shelf now displays both our stemware as well as our stemless glasses and Kacey's beer mugs. And it's also a fun decoration in our new place!

3 comments:

  1. you are SO crafty. i'm a big wine drinker and i love the look of displaying all your pretty stemware. such a great DIY my dear! hope you're loving the new place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i know what you mean, we have SO MUCH stemware and i really wanted some place to show it all off. this was actually a lot easier than i thought it would be!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog from better after. I have to say I absolutely love every one of your posts and furniture transformations! You are very creative!

    Marlene
    Great data for Zespri Kiwi fruit Nutritional Values information

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |