In the Name of Fashion

Monday, January 31, 2011

I had some downtime this weekend and for some reason I decided to go through and read some of posts on my old blog that I kept while I went to FIDM. I found this gem from back in February 2009 when I was interning for BCBG. It still cracks me up, so I wanted to share it here. Oh the things we do in the name of fashion...
Today I flat ironed a dead goat. 
How many of you can say that about your job? (And really, isn’t that a great opening line?) I went to my internship and one of the design departments needed help preparing the clothes for the runway (New York fashion week is coming up in spring) and they took me into a side office where a piece of curly (what I thought was faux) fur was laying. They handed me a comb and a flat iron- as in a hair straightener- and said they needed it straightened. Now I was thinking "why didn’t they just buy straight faux fur?", because I know you can get it. But when I sat down and picked up the fur, I realized it was an actual pelt.  I thought it was a llama originally, but I asked and they said it was a goat. I sat for 3 hours straightening a dead animal’s hair.
And you know what? It was hilarious. I mean really, I get to come home at the end of the day and when people ask “how was work?” I get to reply “I flat ironed a goat, what did you do?” And tell me that is not the best response ever. 
Also, straightened goat hair is really soft. I sort of want a giant one for a rug. 
Also also, besides giving dead things makeovers, I got to sit in on a meeting with the creative director and watch while the different departments showed her their lines. It was very Devil Wears Prada. 

It makes me miss all the crazy adventures I had in LA and school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |