Carry On Essentials

Monday, January 6, 2014



I hope everyone is having a lovely 2014 so far!  I’m kicking it off with an overseas business trip to China. By the time you read this I’ll be (hopefully) asleep somewhere over the Pacific Ocean en route to Hong Kong. It’s a looong flight so anything that makes it a bit more bearable helps. Here's my list of carry on essentials for international travel:


  1. Book/kindle/nook (I’m old fashioned and prefer a book, and yes, I am going to carry this giant thing with me). I’m reading Tai-Pan by James Clavell. Since I’m going to Hong Kong, I figured I’d read some historical fiction about it to get it the spirit and possibly learn something 
  2. Inflatable neck travel pillow. Takes up less space than a stuffed one and can be adjusted to the right comfort level.
  3. Dry shampoo. After 15 hours on an airplane – yikes. 
  4. Medicines – ibuprophen, tums, first aid kit, hand sanitizer, etc.
  5. Sunglasses
  6. Random emergency kit. My friend gave me this for Christmas and it’s fantastic. It includes things like a mini clear nail polish, safety pins, band-aids, tampons, and other misc. items for all sorts of emergencies. 
  7. Business cards in a snazzy holder
  8. Snacks 
  9. ipad/tablet/phone for staying in touch with the world
  10. Eye mask to make sleep easier
  11. Passport
  12. Headphones/chargers/connecting cords stored in a little bag so they don't get lost
Other items not pictured:

  • Laptop for working
  • Scarf which can double as a blanket if the plane is cold
  • Deodorant toothbrush, and toothpaste – again, after 15 hours on a plane it may be needed. 
  • Extra pair of socks for comfort and warmth
  • Extra set of clothes in case the unthinkable should happen and my luggage is lost
  • Extra snack food as well as a bottle of water
  • Make up bag 

Those are my essentials, what are some of yours?

I'm not sure how often I'll be posting while overseas, but you can follow me on instagram: farbluemountains  (if it's not blocked in China, otherwise I'll be massively uploading pics when I get back!)

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I got so excited I hit publish to early!)
    Sarah this sounds so exciting! I know hardly anything about travel in Asia and I can't wait to hear all all all about it. That 15 hours on a plane sounds straight up hideous though. Any layovers so you can stretch those legs? Hope that you get to experience all kinds of exciting new things (and that your book is good, of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No layovers, it was a straight flight. Thankfully (and the only way I survived) my company sprang for business class. I have no idea what I would have done otherwise. The downside is now I'm ruined, because there's no way I'll be buying business class if/when I ever go overseas for fun.

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh, you are a lucky duck! Living large! But yeah, ruined for sure.
      Is there anything that you wish you packed in the carry on that you didn't pack?

      Delete
    3. The only thing I wish I would have packed is more variety of food. All I packed were granola bars and there are only so many of those you can eat. The food on the way out was fine, but coming back was pretty nasty (they restock for the flight in China and it's just not the same)

      Delete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |