Bathroom Redo Stage 1 - Stressful to Serene

Tuesday, November 5, 2013


Oh hey, remember that house we moved into and I was so excited about redoing? And then I never really ever said anything about it again? Well we have been (sloooowly) changing things to personalize our home. And one room is finally complete and I'm so excited to share it! Go figure that the first room we decorated was the bathroom. But I LOVE the difference! That ugly brownish tan completely covers the entire house. The gross tan sheen was irrationally stressing me out and I desperately wanted something calming and serene for the bathroom. Luckily Kacey was on board with the gray color. But let's take a closer look at the before pictures, shall we? 


She's a really beauty, isn't she? Nice shiny tan walls, half of a towel rack since the bar fell off (gotta love builder grade hardware), and ugly cabinets. Ok, so the cabinets are still ugly brown, but I have plans to eventually paint them white and add knobs.

The thing is, this bathroom has pretty good bones. Nice tile floors, white countertops and tub, and silver fixtures. But everything else needed to change. We started with Benjamin Moore paint in Stonington Gray in a flat sheen. (No more shiny walls here!!) Then I ripped out the remaining towel rack fixtures and the toilet paper holder. We added hooks from Target instead of a towel rack since you can fit more and it looks pretty. We also added a prettier toilet paper holder from Homegoods because why not? And the old one fell off anyway. Figures.


Did I ever mention that this house doesn't have a linen closet? Ok it does, but it's tiny. Like a hobbit couldn't even fit towels in it. Remind me to show you it sometime. Anyway, we added a shelf above the toilet to hold extra towels since there's nowhere else to put them. We finished with some decorations and called it a day!




So you might be wondering about the "Stage 1" part of the title. Or not, but I'm going to tell you anyway. We have more plans for this room, but lack of time (and money) caused us to break it into 2 parts. The second half is pushed off until late 2014/early 2015 but I'd like to paint the cabinets white, add silver hardware, possibly frame in the mirror, get a new light fixture, and get some fancy shutters for window coverings. Yeah, about that money thing.

But in the meantime, can I just say how much I love our bathroom? It makes me so happy that I want to hug kittens and dance on rainbows with unicorns through the power of fairy dust. Or, you know, take a nice long bubble bath while reading a good book.

4 comments:

  1. I like in the before picture where it looks like there's just a washcloth stuck on the wall.
    The grey looks great, it makes a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha it totally does look like a floating washcloth! The stupid bar for the towel rack fell off about a week after we moved in and we were too lazy to fix it since we knew we would be redoing the bathroom at some point. So that's how we lived for a few months, randomly hanging washcloths and towels over the ends of broken fixtures. Because we are classy people. Did I mention how stoked I was to finally have hooks to hang these things on??

      Delete
  2. It looks great! I am insanely jealous of your tub. Did you light the candles just for the picture? You did, didn't you? :)

    Personally, I miss the random washcloth hanging off the broken fixture. I think you should bring it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I just keep candles lit all day and night, even when I'm not home. I find that the ambiance is worth any fire risk. Heh, I kid of course. And yes, the tub may have been a giant selling point for this house.

      Delete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |