Guest Post - Find Your Courage

Monday, June 25, 2012


Guest post series: While I'm on my honeymoon I've asked one of my friends and former roommate to write a guest post about fitness and staying healthy. Enjoy! 

I am Sarah's friend, Becky. Sarah has asked me to do the honor of writing a post for her blog while she is on her honeymoon! I write over at Find Your Courage about health and fitness, so I thought perhaps I would do a mash-up in honor of Sarah adventuring around on a tropical island paradise and share with you some fun and creative ways to mix fitness and healthy choices into any vacation. Since I basically live in a jungle (my husband is currently stationed in Guam), most of my ideas work especially well on tropical islands, but a lot of them can cross over to anywhere you go!

One of my favorite activities to do anywhere is hiking. It is super easy to pick up a trail guide and pick a trail that is suited to your abilities. We recently did this here on Guam and ended up here:
 

We would never have seen anything like this remote river from our car windows! Of course, you have to be careful hiking. Some locations can be very challenging. This one required us climbing down mudslide using ropes. Be sure to bring extra water, a cell phone or GPS in case you get lost, and a buddy.

Another very easy way to stay active while on vacation is to rent a bicycle instead of a car. Maybe you are visiting a cute little seaside town in Maine. Renting a bike lets you stay active and explore the community in a different way. Not to mention, parking is way easier on a bike. :)

Finally, almost everyone loves to go to the beach! I love the ocean. Water activities are so healthy for you because you use your entire body while doing them. Take one of those beach days and rent a surfboard, kayak, or some snorkeling equipment and explore! These are great activities that you can do both in a class or outing or just on your own. (Just like hiking, be prepared. Know your swimming capabilities and limits and never go alone.)

One last way to stay healthy on vacations is to try and make a few healthy eating choices throughout your time. I love doing this by finding local foods that I don't usually eat. Strange fruits, crazy seafood, and some new way to cook meats are always an adventure. Try a local farmer's market or street fair. If you are the type that likes something a little less intense, try picking up a smoothie made with real fruit and yogurt.

Vacations are an amazing opportunity to relax as well as experience new and exciting things. Just imagine going home afterwards and showing off pictures of you hiking through a jungle and eating squid! So on this summer's vacation, take a chance, stay active, and have a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |