Amazing Crock Pot Pork Chile Verde

Friday, March 7, 2014


So I never really got into mexican food until I started dating my now husband. I have him to thank for my love of pork. I mean I was all about bacon, but there is SO MUCH MORE. Like chile verde, which is my new favorite Mexican food, ever. I've never quite been able to recreate restaurant style perfectly myself. But this one gets pretty stinking close, and I'm pretty sure I could eat this every day of the week. It's a little more time-intensive than throwing a pork shoulder into the crock pot with a can of green enchilada sauce, but SO  worth it!

Ingredients:
3-4 lb pork boneless pork shoulder
10 tomatillos
1 jalepeno pepper
1 poblano pepper or can of mild chiles
1 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
1 green bell pepper
1 cup fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp oregano
1 tsp cumin


Brown the pork shoulder and place in the bottom of a crockpot. Then brown onions in same pan and add them on top of the pork in the pot.


Peel, wash, and half the tomatillos. Place cut side down on a tinfoil covered cookie sheet with 4-5 cloves of garlic with the skin on. Broil for 5 minutes until brown.


Remove seeds from the jalepeno, bell pepper, and poblano pepper and chop. Add all peppers to a blender/food processor. Remove the skin from the garlic and add to the blender along with all the tomatillos. Blend until it creates a smooth sauce. People have very polarized opinions about cilantro. If you like cilantro (yes!!!) add that in and blend again. If you don't - just skip this step. I added a cup of chopped cilantro to the blender along with the oregano, cumin, and a dash of salt and pepper. Blend again until smooth.


Pour mixture over pork and onions and stir so the sauce gets down to the bottom. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.


What comes out of the crock pot is amazing fall-off-the-bone pork deliciousness with the perfect mix of slight spice and tanginess. It looks like green mush, but it tastes SO MUCH BETTER. It takes a better photographer than me to make it look nice, but trust me, for what this lacks in photogenicity (is that a word?) it makes up for in taste. Add rice, beans, and a taco or tostada shell for a meal. And now after looking at all these photos I think I need to go make this again.

1 comment:

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |